Shoreline Management Plan Update for Walter F. George Lake in Alabama and Georgia
Public involvement is one of the most important components of the NEPA process. The goal of public involvement is to ensure that all stakeholders and those interested in the development of the EA are given the opportunity to provide input and voice their concerns. This input is a critical component of the EA and will help ensure that the analysis is as comprehensive as possible and considers all relevant issues. Public involvement provides a way for the Corps to educate the public on the issues associated with the proposed changes to the Shoreline Management Plan.
Public Involvement Opportunities
- Draft EA Public Meetings: The Corps released the Draft EA for the revised Shoreline Management Plan (SMP) for Walter F. George Lake for public review and comment over a 45-day comment period (April 13-May 28, 2011). The Corps held two open-house style meetings to collect public comments on the Draft EA.
The meetings were held on Tuesday, May 10.
- The first meeting was 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. (EDT) at George T. Bagby State Park Lodge (Room: Queen City Hall), 330 Bagby Parkway, Fort Gaines, GA.
- The second meeting was 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. (CDT) at the James S. Clark Center (home of the Eufaula/Barbour County Chamber of Commerce), 333 E. Broad Street, Eufaula, AL.
Both meetings were identical in format. The meetings were informal, with several subject matter displays showing information related to the EA and SMP. The meetings allowed time for participants to review the Draft EA and SMP and to provide comments.
News Release for May 10, 2011 Public Meetings (PDF, 2pp, 70K)
Table of proposed changes to the SMP (PDF, 15pp, 137K)
Hard copies of the Draft EA are available for viewing at the following eight repositories:
- Walter F. George Lake Resource Management Office, 427 Eufaula Rd, Fort Gaines, GA 39851
- Chattahoochee County Public Library, 262 Broad St., Cuseta, GA 31805
- Parks Memorial Public Library, 112 Wall St., Richland, GA 31825
- Quitman County Library, 39 Oldschool Rd., Georgetown, GA 39854
- Clay County Library, 208 Hancock Street, Fort Gaines, GA 39851
- Eufaula Carnegie Library, 217 N. Eufaula Ave, Eufaula, AL 36027
- Abbeville Memorial Library, 301 Kirkland St., Abbeville, AL 36310-2419
- Phenix City–Russell County Public Library, 1501 17th Ave., Phenix City, AL 36867-5140
- Scoping Meetings: Prior to the development of the EA, the Corps held two open house public meetings to collect information from the public on any issues of concern that should be addressed in the EA and to answer questions and provide information to the public about the project. The meetings were as follows:
- June 22, 2010—3:00 - 4:30 p.m. EDT
Walter F. George Lake
Resource Management Office
427 Eufaula Rd
Fort Gaines, GA 39851
- June 22, 2010—6:00 - 7:30 p.m. CDT
Eufaula Community Center
14 Community Drive
Eufaula, AL 36027
News Release for June 2010 Public Meetings (PDF, 88 KB)
List of Corps Proposed Changes to the SMP (PDF, 143 KB)
Displays Shown at Public Meetings Held June 22, 2010 (PDF, 8 MB)
- June 22, 2010—3:00 - 4:30 p.m. EDT
- Scoping Report: The Scoping Report summarizes the activities undertaken by the Corps to solicit input from the public on the scope of the EA and the comments received as a result.
- Main Summary Report only (excluding attachments) (PDF, 793K)
- Attachments 1 – 7 (includes public comments received) (PDF, 25.7 MB)
- Combined File: Summary Report and all Attachments (PDF, 26.1 MB)
- The comment period on the scope of the Draft EA and Draft SMP closed on July 30, 2010.
- Final EA: When the final EA is made public, the Corps will notify the public and make copies available to local repositories and on the Web site. To receive automatic updates, sign up for the mailing list